Sunday, May 18, 2008

First Day in China

-from the top of our 9 story hotel-

Yesterday was our first day in China! We didn't have anything planned so we just got to hang out and explore the city around our hotel. We didn't get very far before we were surrounded by a group of Chinese students who were very eager to practice their English. They asked me my name, where I was from, my age, and if I liked Chinese tea and Chinese food! They were so happy to talk to us and they asked us to sign our names in their notebooks. One of the kids gave Brogan a teddy bear and a little snack, and one of the girls gave me a little eraser thing. I was so honored! : ) I love little eraser things!
-flock of school kids-
After saying goodbye to the students, we kept walking checking out all the sights and sounds and smells of China. We came to a park full of families. It was fun to just watch everyone enjoying their Sunday afternoon. We watched badminton, hackeysack, and kids playing. Also, their was about a dozen brides with their grooms having their pictures taken by this one wedding picture place.

-Dad and Brogan at the park-


-random bride and groom-


On our way back to the hotel, we passed by the school that we can see from our hotel window. There weren't any students around here, since it was Sunday, but the school looks really cute!



-Brogan in front of the school-

We ended our first day with dinner at the "Western restaurant" Lucy's, and a walk through a nearby Rose Garden. At Lucy's I had grilled cheese and french fries. It was delicious, but I promise to be more daring later on. I just needed some normalcy in the midst of all this craziness.

Well, we are off to explore again. And in about 6 hours I will have a new sister and the rest of this trip won't be the same!! Teddi, here we come! There will be lots more pictures! : )

Check out the rest of yesterday's pics on my facebook!


1 comment:

Francisco Z Rodriguez said...

sounds like you had a good first day, wish I could have been there.